It finally happened.

The baby.  He slept.  All night.

Yesterday was spent running around all day.  Church in the morning, grocery store immediately after, my tennis match that afternoon, back home for dinner, a run to Michael’s to use a coupon on some yarn, back home after that.  All of that activity resulted in the baby only taking sporadic naps here and there, mostly in the car.  He did take a little nap before my tennis match, but not a very long one.

But I guess the lack of nap might be what we need, because he finally, FINALLY slept all night again.  Went down at 9 and didn’t wake up until 6:30.  This hasn’t happened in probably a couple of months.  I’m not sure why it happened last night.  And the scary part: I don’t know how to replicate it.

Friday night looked like this:

Yes, that is a zombie baby who is literally falling asleep sitting up.  This is after screaming for a good two hours.  We would get him to sleep, lay him down, and his little eyes would pop back open and the screaming would resume.  I fixed him a cup of warm milk and rocked him.  As soon as I laid him down, he woke up and screamed.  But I was determined not to nurse him overnight or bring him into our bed.  He finally konked out at 1:00 a.m.  Just fell over asleep.  He only slept straight through until 5:00 a.m., then woke up and I brought him to our room for another couple of hours.  He seemed to be in good spirits on Saturday, so maybe we didn’t inflict too much damage on his delicate little psyche.  On Saturday night I just gave up.  We were all so tired that I just didn’t care to hear him cry when he woke up.  He slept in our bed and I nursed him if he wanted to nurse, and that was that.  He’s my baby.  I’ll do what I want, DOCTOR MEANIE.

I was fully expecting last night to be more of the same.  And I had made my peace with it.  He would be doing this until he weans.  But maybe the combination of being extra tired and actually eating his dinner instead of just throwing it around made him good and sleepy.  But he slept all night.  I’m not questioning why.  I just enjoyed it.

Maybe it might have something to do with a certain visitor coming back last week.  I can already feel a difference in my milk supply.  While this is not necessarily a welcome return, {I thought I had a little more time}, I am happy that things appear to be working again.  If you’ve been reading awhile, you know that I went 8 months without a period when I came off birth control so just the fact that my body is once again doing what it is supposed to do is awesome.  But it is affecting my supply.  Perhaps Cannon figured out that he isn’t really getting anything overnight and just gave up on it.  If that’s the case, well, I’ll take it.  Hopefully we can keep nursing in the morning and night for a little while longer.  I do enjoy the closeness with my baby and I don’t want to give that up just yet.

Hopefully this is the start of a path to better sleeping for everyone.  But I’m going to need someone to inform my 3-year old that it was in very poor form for him to wake up and sneak into our bed at 2am on the ONE night for the past two months that his little brother has actually slept through the night.  He could have at least climbed in on Zac’s side instead of mine.  Maybe I would have slept through it then.

Like what you see? Subscribe to my RSS feed. And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter and like The House of Burks on Facebook for the latest updates!

Copy Protected by Tech Tips's CopyProtect Wordpress Blogs.