39 Weeks. And a baby. Wait, WHAT?!

This post was written on Friday, September 16, but never posted.  I’ve backdated it, as it is now Sunday.  We’ve kind of had a lot going on.  🙂


Well, it is now Friday night, which means I am 39 weeks and 4 days pregnant.  What you may or may not know is that this is as pregnant as I’m going to be.  I am currently in the hospital in active labor, but thanks to the magic of modern medicine I am able to feel minimal pain and update the ol’ blog one last time before Baby Brother makes his grand entrance.

It all started yesterday, probably while I was at work and telling everyone that the pains I was experiencing were nothing more than Baby Brother being in some sort of funky position.  It wasn’t until I got in the car to go home that I thought that I might be having contractions.  They were spaced pretty far apart and not very intense, so I chalked them up to Braxton Hicks and we went on about our evening.  I wanted a steak for dinner, so we used a gift card at California Dreaming and had a wonderful dinner.  I’ve been daydreaming about the carton of leftovers all day.  Anyway, more little stuff throughout the night, but nothing severe.  I went to bed and slept okay, but noticed whenever I woke up to use the bathroom or reposition myself that I would have a small contraction.  At around 5:30, I woke up for good because I could no longer lie still through the pain.  I got up and went downstairs to eat some breakfast just in case (and I’m so glad I did) and clean up the kitchen, again, just in case.

All this time, my contractions were getting more intense and closer together, and I was feeling it a lot in my back.  When they were about 4 minutes apart and lasting 30-45 seconds, I went upstairs and told the Mister that we needed to start getting ready to go to the hospital.  So he got Cole a little bag ready, put a few more things in a bag for us, and got Cole dressed and took him to school.  While they were gone I ran a mop over the bathroom floor and sat down to use the bathroom.  When I was done I noticed that I had lost some of my mucus plug.  So I called the Mister and told him to hurry home, and when we got home we were on our way.

We checked in at Piedmont around 9:00 (stupid Atlanta rush hour traffic).  They got me all set up in a room and at my first check, I was at 2cm and 50% effaced.  Not too bad.  I labored for a few hours and at next check at 1pm, I was still at 2-3cm and 50% effaced, and baby was at a -3 station (really high, in other words).  We decided to try to labor some more after talking with my OB about our chances of a successful VBAC since I was obviously having a lot of trouble progressing (the same reason I had a C-section with Cole).  During the next couple of hours my contractions were increasing in intensity and I was experiencing a LOT of back labor.  I bounced on the birthing ball for awhile and walked around to see if I could get the baby to drop a little.  After a half hour on the ball I got back onto the bed.  Five minutes later the rest of my mucus plug came out.  Talk about gross, that was gross.  The pain really kicked up after that, so at 5pm, after 10 hours of back labor, I requested an epidural.  I could have kissed the anesthesiologist right on the mouth.  I was able to rest after that and felt pretty good.

The next check had me at about 3cm and 90% effaced.  The doctor and I were debating artificially breaking my water as she was performing the internal, and lo and behold, there went the bag of waters on its own (well, with an incidental poke from the doctor).  She noticed a slight bit of meconium in the fluid, so there is a NICU team on standby for whatever happens.  I went from a 3 to a 4 immediately, so we decided to give it a couple more hours to see what happens.

At last check, around 9pm, I was only at 5cm.  Since  I am progressing, I requested one more hour.  If at the next check I haven’t progressed far enough, we will go to the OR for a C-section.  Since there is the meconium issue, they would like to move on the side of caution and not really wait around any longer to get him out.  And I am perfectly fine with that.  We were ready to move forward with the C-section at 5pm, but decided to see if the epidural would help me relax and dilate more.  And then we were ready to go for the C-section at the next check when my water broke and we decided to give it some more time.  And then I decided to give it one more hour.  If nothing has gone on in this hour, I’m just going to take it as a sign that I should go forward with the C-section.  I obviously like being pregnant so much that my body does not want to relinquish the baby.  So we will go in and get him!

One way or the other, we will be meeting our baby tonight!  I’m so excited.  I was absolutely not expecting to even go into labor on my own.  I had so much to do at work today and so many plans for this weekend, so of course that earned me a fast pass to L&D.  But I’m so happy to be meeting this little guy tonight.  I’m also STARVING and can’t wait to get some Jello afterward.  ANYTHING in my stomach would be amazing right about now.  🙂

So in 10 minutes we will know which direction we will be taking.  Please pray for us and the doctor, whether she be helping me deliver vaginally or performing the C-section.  I’m very grateful to have been given the opportunity to attempt a VBAC, but at this point the safety and well-being of my baby are my main focus.

Wish me luck!

ETA:  I went in for the C-section Friday night and Cannon James Burks was born at 10:40 p.m.!  Another post is forthcoming, but we are so smitten with our newest family member!

Like what you see? Subscribe to my RSS feed. And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter and like The House of Burks on Facebook for the latest updates!

Copy Protected by Tech Tips's CopyProtect Wordpress Blogs.